26 January 2012

breakfast; or how soft-boiled eggs can never be eaten in bed

some days, I want to live in a fantasy world: one where I wake up with unmussed hair, ungroggy, and immediately ready to begin the day. In that special world, I manage to simultaneously get out of bed, make a delicious, eggy breakfast and hot tea, then serve it to myself in bed. Since I usually have this fantasy first thing in the morning, there are certain liberties with cosmic abilities to snuggle deeper into the covers while cooking. There never seems to be a desire to have this magical breakfast delivered by someone else, as I'm always making it myself. As with most fantasies held while still partially asleep, there's a basis in reality but the possibilities are never quite worked out.

In any case, not being an upstairs dweller in Downton Abbey, I've also never figured out how one is supposed to eat a breakfast with knife and fork, toast and hot drink while reposing calmly in bed. There would be spilling, sloshing, and crumbs. So, then, it is a good thing that that particular little mental idea doesn't work. That does not mean that breakfast isn't a most important meal. Friends have learned that if I'm not feed in the morning, I'm liable to be unduly cranky. To those of you who have experienced this, I apologize. I really am sorry to be such a grouch. Just tell me I'm a grouch and maybe feed me, and it's likely to fix things. Similarly, I have a bad habit of not eating when stressed or thinking through ideas and projects. I really don't have the weight to lose, so maybe someone should remind me to eat, too.

Eggs, in an omelet, fried with a runny yolk, soft boiled, poached, fried hard in a sandwich, that's the best breakfast. They also work fabulously for lunch or supper, but I may just be rhapsodizing a bit too much about food as it is. The other day, I made a lovely little fried egg sandwich, popping the eggs on bread I'd toasted under the broiler with Brie. I have no idea why it didn't turn out well. All the elements were great, it just wasn't as good as either I wanted it to be or it should have been. Alas, some things fall short. At least it was only the eggs that day.


Soft-Boiled Eggs
2 eggs per person
water to cover

These are some of the easiest eggs for breakfast, so long as you can stand a runny yolk and not quite hard whites. I like them all the time, with toast for dipping, but my mom will only eat them when sick. To each her own.
Just put the eggs in a small pot, cover with water, and bring to a boil with a lid on. Once the water is at a heavy boil, set a timer for two minutes. You may need to turn the heat down enough to keep the water from boiling over. Once the two minutes are up, remove from the heat, drain, and cover the eggs in cool or cold water.
This is where is gets tricky. With a bowl for each serving ready, gently but firmly tap a spoon on the side of the egg, about halfway down. Make an indentation enough that you can pull the two halves apart over the serving bowl. Egg goo will run out, especially if you break the yolk. Take the spoon and gently slide it around the edge of the shell, removing the cooked whites into the bowl. Mix up a bit, add salt and pepper, spoon onto toast. There's no way this wouldn't be messy in bed, but if you feel like it, go ahead and try.

"Be well. Do good work. Keep in touch." - Garrison Keillor

No comments:

Post a Comment