26 December 2011

sabbatical; or how cheesecake makes an excellent way to return

and now it's Boxing Day. I'm American and have no real idea of why we celebrate it...except we don't actually celebrate it here. There's supposed to be something to do with houses with servants, and that they get their end-of-year bonuses in boxes the day after Christmas, maybe? Perhaps an English reader can explain it: my Google & Wikipedia must be broken. Personally, I think all boxes exchanged on Boxing Day should hold cheesecake.

 This is the point where you all complain that you've eaten too much rich food over the previous couple days, that more is coming over the next week, and I left you. for almost two weeks. I know, I'm a mean, horrible, Scroogey, Grinch of a blogger. 'tis true. I've no excuses (cough. life. a boy. cough.), and apologies don't mean too much. Still, I got a remote commander for my camera for Christmas and the weather is still snow-free. That means it's time to prance about the yard again, reclaim the things I love, and break out the recipe box again. Plus, my parents got me a nifty, washable recipe card binder.

So, that cheesecake. My family is pretty traditional. There is plain vanilla cheesecake. There is canned cherry pie filling on top. That is all. Sometimes I get fancy and go with marbled chocolate or put chocolate syrup on top of the cake. That doesn't happen when the cheesecake has been requested by my grandfather. There is a definite theme here: if Grandpa asks for it, it's as traditional as possible. If you don't want pumpkin pie over Christmas, cheesecake works every time.

 Cheesecake
1 and 1/2 c. graham crackers, crushed into small crumbs (about 10 crackers)
1/3 c. butter, melted

24 oz. softened cream cheese
14 oz. (1 can) sweetened, condensed milk
3 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon fresh ground nutmeg

combine crumbs and butter, then press into the bottom of a greased springform pan. Set aside, then mix the cream cheese, milk, eggs, vanilla, and nutmeg in a large bowl with an electric mixer, adding each ingredient individually. Either a hand or stand mixer will work. Don't overwork and mix in too much air, but be sure all ingredients are smoothly combined. Pour the batter over the crust into the pan, then place in a preheated 300 degree oven.
After about 45 minutes to an hour, check to see how jiggly the center ofthe cheesecake is. If it is liquid, leave in the oven. When pudding-like, turn off the oven but leave the cake in the still hot oven until it solidifies. Then, remove and slide a thin-bladed knife around the outer edge of the cake. Do not release the pan until it is only warm and no longer hot. Mine always cracks. always. That's why people put cherries, et all, on top. Eat either warm or chilled and with any topping of your preference.

"Be well. Do good work. Keep in touch." - Garrison Keillor

No comments:

Post a Comment