11 September 2012

lips; or how do other women wear lipstick

this is not an advertisement. I wish I had been recompensed for the glowing review I'm about to give, in any matter at all, but I have not. See, I love to hate lipstick. I'm pale, my lips are pale, and I'm a Chapstick kind of girl most of the time.

That is, until I see scores of pictures from New York Fashion Week, pictures that will bleed into London and Paris and Milan Fashion Week pictures. I'm transported by the pretty and interesting clothes, transfixed by new footwear designs, and completely flummoxed by the makeup.

I manage just fine with what works for me {lotion and translucent mineral powder, concealer, bronzer, eyeliner, mascara, and blush}. I play happily with eyeshadow and face paint as necessary for smoky eye or Halloween occasions.

Then I swipe some Vaseline {petroleum jelly, ick, I know, but it works}, chapstick, or a light lip gloss on my lips and head out the door. I've played with lip sticks of the long-wearing, no running variety. I always leave a stain on my coffee cup or the color bleeds unattractively across my face. Even tinted glosses don't quite work: either they leave my lips chapped or look all sticky and shiny.

I do not care for lacquered lips, or ones that look a particularly unnatural shade. I do, however, care to play with another feature of my face, one of which I am quite proud. That is why I finally followed Emma Stone's contractual advice and bought some Revlon.

Let me first admit that I'm impossibly cheap. I glory in Rimmel, N.Y.C., and CoverGirl makeup. I love the looks of Chanel and Dior palettes and nail polish, but my personal makeup cost threshold is somewhere around $5. Nail polish, about $2. Foundational powder, about $7. Eye shadow, about $3. Something that I'm going to wear once on my lips and hate forever more? about ninety-eight cents, because that's how much mint flavored Chapstick costs.

Still, every now and then I see a pretty color or look at the packaging and say, "sure. why not?" That is exactly how I end up with dozens of lip colors that get given to my mother a week later. She can wear lipstick.

Finally, again, I went ahead and sprung for the Revlon Just Bitten Kissable lip stain. {in other randomness, what marketing department comes up with these names? obviously they work, as I've just bought five different colors, but "just bitten kissable" is not a collection of words, beyond kissable, that I want to hear put in that order regarding my lips. just give me something called "no-run, moisturizing lip color"}

It is pretty, comes in a bunch of colors, lasts all day with just one or two light reapplications, and best of all has a mint flavor that doesn't tingle even chapped lips. It claims to be a good moisturizer, but you'll still want Chapstick so that you're not constantly building too much color on your lips. Now, though, that clear white stick won't wash out your lip color.

Various colors work well from summer to fall and winter, and with no eye makeup and a dark smoky eye. Take a look for yourself, as I pout unnecessarily at the camera while wearing, from top to bottom, "Charm Creme," "Sweetheart Valentine," "Smitten Eprise," and "Romantic Romantique."


"Be well. Do good work. Keep in touch." - Garrison Keillor

No comments:

Post a Comment