05 September 2012

hurricane; or how late summer cries out for watermelon margaritas

lately, the remnants of Hurricane Isaac have been dumping all sorts of tropical heat an humidity on my foresty little world. It has been a long and {thankfully} incredibly busy summer in the store, and while I usually adore my Cook Forest wear, from tank tops to tye-dye, I'm ready for autumn. I'm ready for sweaters and scarves and furry booties. Last year around this time, I was whining that it was hot while I wanted to bake Molasses to Rum to Slaves cookies. I broke out the cotton dresses and had a blast.

This year, I'm relying on chilled, pureed fruit to get me through this early September heatwave. It has been just hot enough lately that the entire family is getting on each others' last nerve, and all I see from my European friends are tweets about rain and sweaters. It's enough to make a girl go spare. Instead, tonight, Mom and I settled into my barely cool apartment with icy fruity drinks and some of the best the BBC has to offer.

We adored Downton Abbey {who didn't? I'm dying for the Ralph Lauren AW12 collection of tweed and newsboy caps}, so we dove back a bit further in time to explore Cranford. I saw the first season the first time around but managed to miss the Return to Cranford, so in a few weeks we'll both be enjoying something new. Cocktails all around, though Miss Deborah Jenkyns would never approve of ladies consuming alcohol. Good thing we're not really ladies, then.


Watermelon Margarita
As with most mixed drinks, it's really about proportions to your taste. I used about 3 cups of watermelon chunks, pureed, with 4 shots of tequila, a heavy splash of sweetened lime juice, and a handful of ice cubes. Salt or sugar the rims as you like. Altogether, we had two smallish drinks each. Blenders are one of the greatest inventions ever.


"Be well. Do good work. Keep in touch." - Garrison Keillor


No comments:

Post a Comment