26 April 2012

cravings; or fried eggs & asparagus for a weekday breakfast

all yesterday afternoon I spent craving eggs. Eggs and asparagus. There must be some nutrient I'm not getting that my body has decided to beg for eggs and asparagus {or maybe that some had just arrived from the grocery store}, but that's what I wanted. Instead, we had roast beef and mashed potatoes with peas. Also delicious, but not exactly what I was looking for.

So, I made a fancy brunch breakfast on Thursday morning. With the store, weekends are always busier than weekdays. This is especially true in the summer, when one wants to find a sidewalk cafe with bottomless mimosas and french press coffee, poached eggs and all different sorts of jams, and instead one has to work. As such, weekdays make for elaborate breakfasts. This one works nearly as well for lunch or with an extra egg or a side salad for supper.

This morning became a delightful rush about the kitchen, toasting, broiling, boiling, and lightly frying before a leisurely sit down and relax. It was so quick, I'm almost ashamed to bother posting a "recipe." As a final note, the lighting in these pictures is wonky, they may not be in focus, and I left the eggs in the skillet too long {no runny eggs! the horror!}. I'd apologize, but I was hungry. Now for some yoga and to get to work.


Fried Eggs and Asparagus
2 eggs
6 to 8 stalks asparagus
cream cheese (I favor onion and chive flavored)
small handful cherry tomatoes, cut in half
bread, toasted (I favor wheat or whole grain)

Turn the broiler to high and place the asparagus and cut tomatoes in an oven proof dish. Put the vegetables under the broiler. Pop a slice of bread in the toaster. Heat a skillet and add just enough butter to fry two eggs, then add the eggs, put a lid on, and turn the heat to low. {I like my yolks runny} Spread cream cheese thinly on the toast, place on a plate. Remove the lightly charred asparagus and tomatoes from the broiler and pile on the toast. Remove the cooked eggs when they are at your preferred doneness from the skillet and place on top. Salt and pepper as desired, enjoy.

*PS I know my stove is gross...but it's older than I am.
There are some things that just. won't. scrub. off.

"Be well. Do good work. Keep in touch." - Garrison Keillor

No comments:

Post a Comment