20 February 2012

comfort; or why dark chocolate chunk cookies make a happy home

there's not much to say. Things have been getting busier at the store, I'm going out of my mind waiting on learning about whether school is a go or not, racing has sort of begun {only testing which tells us less than nothing}, and I've been stress baking. Rather unlike stress eating, which I do not suffer from, stress baking occurs when I need to take my mind off things and just chill out. Interestingly, I never want to eat what I've stress baked. I have eaten a total of two of these cookies, out of a batch of three dozen. The people I keep giving them to aren't complaining, mind you.

These are amazing cookies. If I had been craving eating them instead of just the creativity of tweaking a recipe as distraction, I would have hidden them in my house and eaten every single one in just a couple of days. They are a sugar cookie with flecks and specks and chunks of dark chocolate: all the best things about generally soft sugar cookies and non-waxy chocolate chip cookies. For an American, chocolate chip cookies are listed in the Parthenon of comfort foods: mac & cheese, pizza, mashed potatoes,  ice cream, cheesecake, roast chicken, and chocolate chip cookies. The nice thing is that these are easy peasy and take about a half hour from start to finish.

Dark Chocolate Chunk Cookies
1 cup butter, softened
1 and 1/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
vanilla

2 and 1/2 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar

8 ounces (by weight) dark chocolate, chopped

cream together the butter and sugar, then add the eggs and vanilla. Mix well by hand, then mix in the flour, baking soda, and cream of tartar. Add in the chocolate. You will want to have used whatever eating dark chocolate (or milk) you enjoy, chopped into pieces. Combine everything, then use either a cookie scoop or two soup spoons to dollop the dough onto cookie sheets by the tablespoon. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 10-12 minutes, until the cookies are just golden brown around the edges and near the top.
Place on cooking racks immediately. Beware: the melted chocolate will stick to the bottom of your spatula and your cooling racks. It will be worth it.

"Be well. Do good work. Keep in touch." - Garrison Keillor

No comments:

Post a Comment