30 September 2011

black lace; or why I feel the need to don a costume to attend a play

the local University is currently showing a production of Dracula. There is always a fall play, and though last year was Romeo and Juliet, the theater department is a bit more Halloween-themed this year. I love live theater. The next nearest decent production company is two hours away in Pittsburgh, which makes regular attendance much more difficult, what with a busy summer season and Pennsylvania's other season: raging winter.

In short, I attend nearly every local production I can. I'm not much big on Gothic, romantic attempts-at-horror novels or plays. I refuse to watch horror movies and while I do often enjoy a nice fantasy novel (as in every children's novel involving magic, fairies, goblins, and wild imaginings possible), I am often not actually terrified by words on a page. Poe? lovely writer, fascinating, not at all terrifying. Mary Shelley's Frankenstein? made me wonder what all the fuss was about. Dracula? huh, so that's the definitive way to kill a vampire.

There was no worry for me in the semi-recent Sherlock Holmes movie, because I knew the delectable crime-fighting team of Robert Downey, Jr & Jude Law would inform me precisely how all the magic was hokum. I can't stand the harry Potter movies, if only because they do such a poor job of re-telling some fantastical and nuanced actual books.

I am a little worried, though, about tonight's production. I do fine with things on my television and words written on paper, especially as I don't get a movie in my head of the book whilst reading, but there are a couple of terrifyingly talented actors who (I hope) remain at the department. Also, they do have a tendency to add some audience participation. I've never felt more awed, or creeped out, than when people with Nazi armbands stood up *in* the audience to sing along in Cabaret.

Yet, here I am, happily planning a little Gothic-inspired outfit for today's outing and tonight's production. I believe in dressing up to go to the theater. I believe that even if it is just a state-run university production, they have put their heart and soul into their characters and staging, setting and lights. My cheap little ticket only rewards them so much, and those involved deserve my respect. If I went to church, I'd do it the same way: dressy but tasteful clothes. None of this wearing jeans business, dressy as they sometimes are.

After yesterday's semi-disastrous post in which I felt no ease at all despite the entire point being that easy and basic was graceful, and simplicity was comfortable, I've been thinking of all the ways to put all my favorite things together in one look. I'm vaguely inspired by all the Gothic sensibilities embodied in the romantic horror novels of the late 1800's. It's all about leather and lace and satin and fur, yet I can't quite get away from a 1940's silhouette or a newsboy cap. ah, c'est la vie. It's Paris Fashion Week and the 40's are still hot.

Today I'm running about town, searching for a new shelving unit for my purses and hats and basically enjoying a day off after my parents went to a conference this past week. It's all antiques stores & groceries, coffee shops & Oscar Wilde for the next book club. If the wind settles down enough, I may even do some photography in our little college town.


"Be well. Do good work. Keep in touch." - Garrison Keillor

No comments:

Post a Comment