03 April 2013

styling; or how the internet confuses me into a larger closet

the other day, I tweeted & Facebook-ed a simple thought: "sometimes I think about what I want to wear tomorrow and forget that the things I've pinned on Pinterest aren't in my real closet."

Quite a few of my friends responded positively...we've all been there. You look and look through Pinterest at all the pretty clothes and pin outfits and styles, thinking "I like this and I don't like that, oh that would be pretty with that skirt over there, and shoes!" It is a great time killer, while you still feel as though you might still be creative. It gets worse when you add Polyvore to the mix. 

I'm still on the fence with Polyvore. I like Pinterest the way I like tearing photographs out of magazines, as an inspiration for styling myself and my home. I like seeing how the women on the street look, how the stylists make them look, how one adorable skirt looks great in one photo and not so great in another, depending on the cut, the rest of the outfit, and the woman. 

A piece I love by itself I might hate on a woman who is built like me and love on a woman like Christina Hendricks, or maybe Mila Kunis or Karlie Kloss. With Pinterest, a lot of the time it's about the feeling in the photo...so long as we're thinking Pinterest for clothes. It also does a lot of the best and worst looking recipes to be found online, has home decor stuff, and is possibly the widest range of workout motivation/fat shaming quote boxes I've ever seen. 

But regarding clothes, I can be a lot more difficult to see how that blouse you have that looks like that one picture would go with that pair of jeans from another, until you get to Polyvore. It's where every person in front of her computer gets to become the stylist. I've been there a while and admittedly still don't understand the following other people function, because most of those styling boards are on Pinterest anyway. That doesn't stop me from styling away though.

Polyvore seems to bridge the gap between Pinterest's aspirational clothes and what is actually hanging in your closet. You won't find exactly what you already own, unless you're covered by designers who show at the Paris haute couture shows, but you will find lots and lots of things that look remarkably like what is hanging in your closet. It might be an easier way to decide what accessories to pick up to go with a dress you already own. I've played around a bit:

Like I said, I'm still on the fence, and I still tend to spend more time on Pinterest than Polyvore. Still, it is nice to have a site where you are the active participant in creativity instead of the passive consumer of it. 

"Be well. Do good work. Keep in touch." - Garrison Keillor

No comments:

Post a Comment