25 October 2011

planning; or how a vacation turns into a fashion show

my mind has turned to the vast and often inspiring topic of clothes. Outfits upon outfits, accessories, scarves and hats and boots and coats. My sister and I are traveling to Montreal in less than three weeks, and I am consumed by what we're going to wear. I know she's got a guidebook tabbed and lists of places to go and things to see and hip cafes at which one might ogle attractive men, so all I need to worry about is what, precisely, I'm going to wear. I live in the middle of nowhere and around here, as evidenced by the existence of this blog, people just wear jeans and hoodies. A blazer? unlikely, unless you are at work. Then, you pop it off as soon as possible. My style is charitably called eccentric by my friends and worse by those who just spot me on the street.

This vacation is a chance for me to be expressive with a lower likelihood of ridicule. and so, all I can think of are clothes. It's a multi-part trip, what with my driving to my grandmother's to take the train to my sister's to get on the plane to go to Montreal. No judging, it's about $150 cheaper and ticks familial obligation boxes. In any case, there is minimal packing space and maximum clothing options. Most importantly are the shoe choices. We're walking. a lot. That means flats. It's Montreal. in November. That means warm socks. I've got a pair of adorable grey brogues that are comfy, so they'll be in the suitcase. However, I feel certain that this trip will be all about the boots.

There are these suede boots that I bought two years ago for a similar trip to NYC with my lovely sister. She turned what had been a quick jaunt into the City for an evening from her Jersey home into an all day brunch & dinner & fabulous Prairie Home Companion all day affair. My shoes were not packed accordingly, and I was forced to make a quick flats purchase. They remain my favorite pair of boots to this day...and somehow they salt stains and general disheveled nature make them all the better. Frankly, the entire outfit shown in my fantasy and roast chicken post is certain to make its way to Montreal intact.

In fact, yesterday was a bit of a shopping day. Partially because I wanted to be sure there isn't something I'd love to take that I don't have {cough. a new suitcase. cough. no luck, though}, and partially because of my aforementioned Halloween party this weekend. I'm throwing a Halloween costume party Friday. Halloween is really the gateway to Thanksgiving and the rest of the holiday season. It is a night when even grownups dress up and gather candy. As a family, we were quite involved in the holiday. That led to a number of outrageous costumes, which will likely be discussed throughout the rest of this week as I detail my menu and who uncharted food territory pans out. For now, I've been thinking ahead to Montreal.

It's time to dial it back. I'm serving my Lemon-Garlic-Ricotta Spread, hot apple cider, doctored with spices and spiced rum, various veggies, dried fruits and nuts, Smitten Kitchen's delicious and rich Red Wine Chocolate cake, some homemade bread {baked by a dear friend's husband...totally a keeper, folks!}, and Mushroom Zucchini Lasagne, with meatballs on the side. I wanted something simple and easy and warm and filling, but not too involved to actually eat. Plus, I've a vegetarian friend attending, so all meat on the side. Not that I've ever actually made this lasagne, but you won't find out about it until I actually make it Wednesday or Thursday so I won't have to bother the day of the party. I'm throwing stuff together for it as I so often do, like a mad scientist whose lap consists of a stove and the contents of a refrigerator.

Honestly, I've no recipe today. My mind is consumed with planned makeup for my Morgan le Fay costume, house cleaning, to do lists, and wondering if I need another fake bug hidden in those fake cobwebs over there. Come to think of it, I probably do. Plus, I'm still sort of sad from the accidents on the past two Sundays. The party and friends {thanks for the phone call, sister!} and vacation planning are definitely helping.

I've got another friend coming over for dinner tonight, one who I have to remember to hand over a hat for her stewardess costume. We're making the ricotta tonight, and tomorrow is when I wonder if I've gone off the deep end again on food prep for a party. Halloween is something of the holiday where one gets to be whomever they want for a night, in costume and behavior. Even grown-ups need a night off. Who are you planning on masquerading as this year?

 "Be well. Do good work. Keep in touch." - Garrison Kellior

No comments:

Post a Comment