21 September 2011

going back to college; or cramming for Book Club

Today is all about re-reading the book for my Book Club. The meeting is tomorrow, and tomorrow will be all about baking for book club. Honestly, "Book Club" is an excuse for the girls to get together at someone's home, attempt to out-do each other with food, drink wine, talk about boys, and possibly get around to talking about a book. Really, we call it Book Club so we force ourselves to read a book, but it's more about forcing others to let us get together on a schedule.

This morning, and today, while I re-read "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society," I feel like I'm going back to college. We've recently added a requirement of bringing a couple of questions/discussion points too each gathering so that we do more than just talk about the surface topics of the book. I enjoyed this book so much that I did the typical too fast reading and have to go back and re-read it in an effort to think of good discussion points. More importantly, discussion points that the other women won't have thought of, either. It's like going back to college, as we've got an English teacher and a Literature degree holder, along with a lawyer, a Spanish teacher, a librarian, and me.
breakfast. and a doodle.
Added to that, I'm still reeling from my first viewing of "Winter's Bone" last night. I can't wait to read the book, but what I think impressed me most was that it was entirely filmed in the Missouri. One of my other favorite mountain, rural people shows, "Justified" is filmed in California, after filming the pilot partially about an hour from here in Pennsylvania. It is set in Kentucky. Neither of those places is Kentucky. However, "Winter's Bone" is not just about the scenery but the stark portrayals of how life is for some people, and how entire cultures are built on becoming the bulwarks against the outer fringes of the encroaching masses who don't want to help.

Thank god for a sturdy breakfast after that, no? Hard to see, but those are dried cherries in that oatmeal, with a tiny hint of almond extract added to the water before the oats. Impossibly good. and I'll need it, what with housework (ironing, which always annoys me until I get started, then it become relaxing), studying for BC, and planning a treatise on how to make shortbread. It's my contribution, along with tea sent to me directly from Yorkshire, to the bacchanal tomorrow evening. You all get a recipe tomorrow. For now, a touch of foggy fall is in the air, and I go back to school...oh yes, and tend to the customers.

"Be well. Do good work. Keep in touch." - Garrison Keillor

No comments:

Post a Comment